No matter how busy you are, it is important to take time to assess your work surroundings and look out for unsafe conditions. No matter how insignificant this simple act may look, it may be what it takes to prevent an unsafe condition from escalating into an accident.
Unsafe conditions to look out for during your Care Time
- Defective or wrong tools, equipment or machines
- Missing guards or barriers when working at heights
At the workplace, it is not enough to just identify unsafe conditions. You must make time to assess your work surroundings for unsafe behaviours which may compromise the safety of not one but everyone around you. Only then can you work with peace of mind towards higher productivity.
Unsafe behaviours to look out for during your Care Time
- Unauthorised use of machine or vehicle
- Speeding or reckless driving
- Unauthorised entry to a restricted area (e.g. entering a confined space before it is declared safe)
- Maintaining a machine while it is in operation
- Bypassing a safety device
- Adopting an unsafe work position
- Taking shortcuts (e.g. by skipping steps in safe work procedures)
- Wearing personal protective equipment in an incorrect manner or not wearing any at all
- Failure to secure a safety harness prior to working at heights
Should you notice any unsafe conditions or behaviours, report them immediately. This will enable risk controls to be put in place before accidents occur. Hazards can be reported in person or over the phone, or by filling in a simple form (available online, via an app, or in hardcopy).
Spot a hazard? Report to:
- Your supervisor or manager
- A WSH officer
- A WSH committee member
- The WSH department
- Someone in a position to make the right workplace changes
You can report hazards to your company using the SnapSAFE App.